Pistol Permit applications are processed by the Selectman's Office by appointment only. You must appear in-person.
Residents who wish to obtain a state pistol permit must first apply with their municipality for a temporary permit, valid for just 60 days. After obtaining the temporary permit, most applicants can quickly receive a full permit by visiting an office of the Special Licensing and Firearms Bureau for the Connecticut State Police. The SLFB headquarters in Middletown and Troop E in Montville are the nearest locations.
How to Apply
- Completed and notarized application form (see file attachment at bottom of page) along with all specified identification. Notary services are not currently available at Town Hall due to changed COVID19 operations. Most banks also have a notary on staff, and they may or may not charge a fee. Do not fill out the “declaration” section of the back page of this document until you are in the presence of a notary.
- Completed state fingerprint card (prints may be obtained at any state police barracks – cost is $15.00) Keep a copy of your receipt in the event that your fingerprints need to be redone
- Personal check or money order in the amount of $13.25 Made out to “Treasurer – State of CT” for FBI background check. (As of January 1, 2019)
- Personal check or money order in the amount of $75.00 Made out to “Treasurer – State of CT” for State background check. (As of December 1, 2017)
- Check or money order in the amount of $70.00 Made out to “The Town of Lebanon”
- Drivers License (must present the original at time of application)
- Hand Gun Safety Course Certificate
- Birth Certificate or Passport
Upon receiving your application, fingerprints will be sent to the SPBI by the Selectmen’s Office, along with your checks for $13.25 and $75.00 for FBI and State criminal history check. The entire process often takes more than eight weeks. You will be notified when your Temporary State Permit is ready to be picked up. The Temporary Permit must be picked up and signed in-person by the applicant with a current photo ID.
Temporary State Permits are valid for 60 days and cannot be renewed. You must reapply to local authority if expired without obtaining your State Permit. Your Temporary Permit is valid to carry firearms only — NOT valid for purchase of firearms.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to get a fingerprint card made using electronic fingerprinting rather than the classic “ink and smudge” method. Fingerprint cards made by directly inking the fingers have a much higher rate of rejection once processed by the state. If your prints are rejected due to smudging or some other technical issue, you will have to repeat the fingerprinting process.
Although fingerprinting can be done at any State Police Barracks location, only some offer electronic fingerprinting as an option. We recommend visiting the State Police Bureau of Identification at 1111 Country Club Road in Middletown, CT.
Please contact the Selectmen’s Office at (860) 642-6100 with any questions you may have.
|Pistol Permit Packet and DPS 799-C Form||703.05 KB|